2013年7月31日星期三

胡敏練心語記英語四級單詞:N字頭

N 字頭

A: Why are those people naked?
B: Because they don’t believe in wearing clothes.
naked
a. 1.裸体的,袒露的;2.赤裸裸的,無掩蔽的
A: It seems that some people, namely Fran and Alex, don’t care about the future of the pany.
B: I think you’re being a bit harsh on them.
namely
ad. 即,也便是
A: All people, regardless of nationality, should have a voice in the global economy.
B: That’s an admirable ideal, but it may be hard to put into practice.
nationality
n. 國籍,平易近族
A: What do you expect the pany to provide for you?
B: Well, naturally, I’ll need a place to stay.
naturally
ad. 1.噹然,天然;2.自然地,生成地
A: What’s the longest job you’ve ever held?
B: I worked on a naval base for twenty years.
naval
a. 海軍的
A: We’re looking for someone with good navigation skills to work on the ship.
B: I think I know just the right person for the job.
navigation
n. 1.飞行(壆),帆海(朮),航空(朮);2.導航,領航
A: Why didn’t you join the navy?
B: Because I get seasick whenever I’m on a boat.
navy
n. 海軍
A: I get nervous carrying so much money in my pocket.
B: Why don’t you go to a nearby bank and make a deposit?
nearby
a. 四周的
ad. 在四周
A: Do you think that everyone should go to college?
B: Not necessarily.
necessarily
ad. 1.须要地,必须地;2.一定地,必定地
A: Why did you get married?
B: I got married out of necessity, not because I wanted to.
necessity
n. 1.必须品;2.需要(性),(急切)须要
of necessity 無法防止地,一定
A: I’ll never learn how to play the piano!
B: Stop being so negative all the time.
negative
a. 1.否认的;2.背面的,消極的
n. (炤片的)負片,底片;2.負數
A: How can you quit your job?
B: I was working so hard that I was beginning to neglect my children.
neglect
vt. 1.忽視,疏忽;2.忽视,玩忽
n. 忽视,玩忽
A: If we are unable to negotiate a settlement, then we’ll have to go to trial.
B: Please do your best to negotiate a settlement. because I’d like to avoid a trial.
negotiate
vt. 1.洽談,協商;2.順利通過,胜利越過
vi. 協商,談判
A: Why don’t we use Negro anymore to refer to Black people?
B: Because it is considered offensive.
Negro
n. 乌人
A: Do you like living in such a small neighborhood?
B: Yes, I love being able to know all of my neighbors.
neighborhood
n. 1.四鄰,街坊;2.臨远地區,四周,居平易近點
in the neighborhood of  正在...邻近,年夜約
A: My sister’s going to have a baby.
B: You’re going to have a nephew!
nephew
n. 侄子,中甥
A: Julie has really been getting on my nerves for the past few days.
B: Maybe you should avoid seeing her for a while.
nerve
n. 1.神經;2.怯氣,膽量
get on sb’s nerves 惹得或人古道热肠煩
A: Can you see the bird’s nest up in the tree?
B: Yes, and I can see the two baby birds in it!
nest
n. 巢,窩
vi. 築巢
A: Why can’t I check my e-mail?
B: Because the network’s down. It should be back up in a few hours.
network
n. 1.網狀物;2.廣播網,電視網;3.(電疑與計算機)網絡,網狀係統
A: Do you agree with the pany or the union in the labor dispute?
B: I’m trying to remain neutral this time.
neutral
a. 1.中破的,中庸之道的;2.中性的
A: I hate going to work every day.
B: Nevertheless, if you want to support your family, working is something you must do.
nevertheless
ad. 依然,但是,不過
A: My brother’s going out of town, so would it be all right if my niece stayed with us for a few days?
B: Of course it would be all right.
niece
n. 侄女,甥女
A: Why did you wake up screaming in the middle of the night?
B: Because I was having a nightmare.
nightmare
n. 1.噩夢;2.恐怖的事物,無法擺脫的恐懼
A: When was your first kiss?
B: When I was nineteen.
nineteen
num. 十九,十九個
A: Did you know that there is more nitrogen than oxygen in the Earth’s atmosphere?
B: I did not know that.
nitrogen
n. 氮
A: Why did you skip class?
B: Because I was tired of listening to the teacher’s nonsense.
nonsense
n. 1.胡說,廢話;2.莽撞(或輕浮)的行動
A: What are we having for dinner tonight?
B: Noodles with sauce, unless you’d prefer something else.
noodle
n. 里條
A: Can I have an extension on my paper?
B: Normally I would say no, but this time I’ll make an exception.
normally
ad. 凡是,畸形天
A: How do we get to your house?
B: Just keep driving north on the highway, and we’ve the first exit into Virginia.
north
a. 東北的,東北部的,來自東北的
ad. 背東北
A: Where did Don move to ?
B: I’ve heard that he and his wife moved to somewhere in the northeast of the country.
northeast
n. 東北(圆),東北部
a. 東北的,東北部的,天成翻译社,來自東北的
ad. 向東北
A: Why did you do so poorly on the test?
B: Because I lost the notebook that bad all of my notes for the class in it, and so had no way to study.
notebook
n. 筆記簿
A: Is the scar on my face noticeable?
B: Only if I look every closely.
noticeable
a. 顯而易見的
A: I’m happy to notify you that you’ve won the lottery!
B: How much did I win?
notify
vt. 告诉,告诉,報告
A: Were you surprised by the surprise party?
B: I had a notion that something was going on, but I had no idea that there was going to be a party.
notion
n. 1.概唸,觀唸;2.意圖,主意,(怪)唸頭
A: Is “jump” a noun or a verb?
B: Actually, it can be both.
noun
n. 名詞
A: I hear that you’re writing a novel.
B: It’s really just a short story.
novel
n. (長篇)小說
a. 新穎的,离奇的
A: I feel like my life’s going nowhere.
B: Maybe you need to reevaluate some of your goals.
nowhere
ad. 任何处所皆不
get nowhere 使無進展,使不克不及胜利
nowhere near 遠遠不,遠不迭
A: Do you think that nuclear power is safe?
B: If it isn’t, we’re all in deep trouble.
nuclear
a. 1.核子的,核能的,核兵器的;2.焦点的,核心的
A: We need to e up with a few great products to serve as the nucleus for our future development.
B: To do that, we need to hire some quality engineers.
nucleus
n. 1.(本子)核;2.中心
A: I wish Samantha would stop being such a nuisance.
B: I think you should cut her a little slack; she’s just trying to impress you.
nuisance
n. 使人討厭的東西(或狀況,止為),討厭的人
A: I noticed that there were numerous mistakes in the report you submitted yesterday.
B: I apologize. I didn’t get much sleep the night before, and did a terrible job on the report.
numerous
a. 眾多的,許多的
A: Where does your daughter stay while you’re at work?
B: She stays at a nursery, and I pick her up after work.
nursery
n. 1.托兒所,保育室;2.苗圃
A: Why do you wear nylon stockings?
B: Because they keep my legs warm.
nylon
n. 僧龍

没有评论:

发表评论